Mastering the Board Game:
Policy Governance Training
Monday, October 23 * 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
YMCA of the Rockies
A community-wide, full-day training on Policy Governance for government, quasi-government, and nonprofit boards.
In order for our community to be successful, to provide the services and opportunities that make Estes a great place to live, we MUST ensure that our boards know how to govern. They MUST earn the public’s trust. Policy Governance (developed by Dr.John Carver,) is a model of governance based on 10 basic principles which help governing boards lead, direct, inspire and control organizations.
This one-day, highly engaging and interactive training, Mastering the Board Game, explores the universal challenges of governance and Board/staff relationships, and how employing principle-based strategies to address these complex issues transforms the dysfunctional or adequate Board into the collaborative and exceptional one.
Participants will learn:
- ten state-of-the-art Policy Governance® principles
- why boards should, and how they can, focus on purpose rather than process
- the fiduciary and legal duties of directors
- how to have control of operations without “micromanaging”
- how to clearly delegate to staff, committees and officers, and hold them accountable, including tools for effective and systematic CEO performance assessment
- a new way to make board officer and committee structures more efficient effective
- the four categories of governing policies necessary for accountability and role clarity
- key policy topics with examples of policy development
AND Learn, in the following areas, how to:
- Make the owner/customer distinction
- Define the Board’s fidelity
- Define board and staff roles
- Monitor policy implementation
- Exercise group authority
- Define success in terms of outcomes, not activities
- Differentiate board from executive leadership
- Determine direction with a long-range perspective
- Delegate effectively
- Create effective and meaningful policies
- Create a vision
- Launch the Board’s work
- Fulfill all legal/fiduciary duties
- Plan a path for governance success
This program will be taught by Bill Charney, of Charney Associates, a Strategic Consulting firm providing services in Board Governance and Leadership. This particular training is often rated the “best-ever” on the topic of Board Effectiveness.
Bill Charney is widely recognized as one of North America’s foremost authorities on board leadership and Policy Governance. Bill has the ability to engage his audience while teaching. His unique perspective on effective board leadership has been shared at convention workshops throughout the United States, Scotland, Australia, United Kingdom, Canada, Sweden, Holland and Singapore.
For more information about Bill Charney and Charney Associates, please visit www.bcharney.com.
Program Goal: For Estes Park board members and staff to have a clear understanding of the distinctions between governance and management, and how boards can create maximum benefit/achievement or purpose by optimizing both the empowerment and systematic accountability of staff.
EPNRC is working collaboratively with the following organizations to ensure that this training has broad community support: Town of Estes Park, Estes Park Economic Development Corporation, Estes Valley Partners for Commerce, The Estes Park Trail Gazette, Estes Valley Library, Visit Estes Park, Estes Park Medical Center, Estes Area Lodging Association, and Larimer County.